Wednesday, August 25, 2010

[050] Jorge Artajo - Spain

COLOURED CHESS-SET - Jorge Artajo - Spain


This is a Piece inspired by Yoko Ono’s "White Chess-Set"

The basis is the same, but where Yoko says "Play It by Trust", I add "Yes, Play It by Trust and Joy". We should have always in mind that respect is the best way to end with our fears and enjoy the others. Although the differences, we are not as different as we are told. We all are in the same game, despite our anger or hate. We all have the choice of transforming life in a game of love and togetherness, or in a game of death and rejection.

When I was a child, about 10, I used to hate playing chess, because one of my brothers, who was 5 years older than me, used it to humiliate me. He always won, of course, and he had that feeling of being stronger and cleverer than me, and he would show off treating me like an inferior and insulting me. That, raised a lot of resentment in me towards him, but when I was alone, I used to find something fascinating in that black and white cardboard and all those different pieces, so I enjoyed very much playing chess alone, with my own rules. The cardboard could become a hug golden room, a palace, a desert, a country, a planet, or a universe and there were lots of love and war stories over there, but there were always happy endings with balls and parties where the pieces got to know to each other, dancing and talking.

So with all this in mind, I made this Colored Chess-Set, as a way of add a layer to Yoko's piece. Maybe if I have had this kind of chess set when I was 10, my older brother and I wouldn’t have stopped talking to each other when grown ups.

No comments:

Post a Comment